| NOTICE : This syllabus will definitely change over the course of the quarter. It is your responsibility to check the website often for changes to the readings or assignments.
March 28 / Week 1: Introduction
April 4 / Week 2: What is a virtual community?
- Just about everybody uses Instant Messenger . If you already use AIM, Yahoo or MSN, try an old school one like ICQ or a new one like Skype or surprise us! Be prepared to talk about it in class.
April 11 / Week 3: Research methods
- Pennebaker, J.W. (2002) What our words can say about us: Toward a broader language psychology. Psychological Science Agenda, 15 , 8-9. one page long, woohoo!
- Herring, S.C. (2004). Computer-mediated discourse analysis: An approach to researching online behavior. In: S. A. Barab, R. Kling, and J. H. Gray (Eds.), Designing for Virtual Communities in the Service of Learning.. New York: Cambridge University Press, (pp. 338 - 376).
- Garton, C., Haythornthwaite C. & Wellman, B. (1997). Studying online social networks. Journal of Computer-mediated Communication.
- Elizabeth F. Churchill and Christine A. Halverson, "Social Networks and Social Networking," IEEE Internet Computing , vol. 9, no. 5, 2005, pp. 14-19.
- Institutional Review Board (IRB). Northwestern University.
April 18 / Week 4: Online relationships
- Standage, T. Chapter 8 "Love Over the Wires" in The Victorian Internet. New York: Walker and Co., 1998. pp. 127-144. see Blackboard > Course Documents
- Cummings, J., Butler, B., & Kraut, R. (2002). The quality of online social relationships. Communications of the ACM, 45(7), 103-108. see Blackboard > Course Documents
- Rainie, L. & Madden, M. (2006). Romance in America. PEW Internet and Family Life.
- Rheingold (2002). Smart mobs: The next social revolution. Chapter 5.
April 25 / Week 5: Online Identity
May 2 / Week 6: Children online
- Putnam, R. ibid. Chapter 10. see Blackboard > Course Documents
- Katz, J. (1997) "The Rights of Children" in Virtuous Reality; How America Surrendered Discussion of Moral Values to Opportunists, Nitwits, and Blockheads Like William Bennett. Random House, New York, NY.
- Rideout, V., Roberts, D.F., Foehr, U.G. (2005). Generation M: Media in the lives of 8-18 year-olds. Kaiser Family Foundation. Pages 4-8 only.
- Cassell, J., Huffaker, D., Tversky, D. & Ferriman, K (in press). The Language of Online Leadership: Gender and Youth Engagement on the Internet. Developmental Psychology.
- Grinter, R., Palen, L. (2002). Instant Messenging in Teen Life. Proceedings from Computer Supported Cooperative Work 2002, ACM.
May 9 / Week 7: Designing online communities
May 16 / Week 8: Your Communities + TBA
In-class presentations of online communities!
May 23 / Week 9: The future?
- Putnam, R. (2001). ibid. Chapter 24. see Blackboard > Course Documents
- Rheingold, H. (2002). ibid. Chapter 6 - 8.
- Moblogs (retrieved 2006). Wikipedia.
May 30 / Week 10: Final presentations
In class-presentations of final papers. Make us proud!
Assignment Due on Monday May 29 @ 5pm